If you’re looking for a quick and easy recipe for your Christmas party, you’ve come to the right place. Made just like Rice Krispie treats, these Oreo “coal” treats are simple and delicious.
First, you start by crushing up some Oreos in a gallon-size bag. Then, you melt some butter in a pot and stir in mini marshmallows. Then you add the Oreos to your marshmallow goop and plop portions out onto a greased baking sheet. After that, they just need to cool for a bit. It takes all of 30 minutes from crushing to cooling. It makes about 1-2 dozen treats depending on how big or little you make them.
Yvette showed me this YouTube video by HeyKayli, which is how I came upon this recipe. Instead of regular Oreos, however, I used mint Oreos, as per Yvette’s request. It gave the treats an interesting pale green complexion, but they taste like Thin Mints, so I’m not complaining. I also used mini marshmallows because they tend to melt a bit faster than regular ones.
I recommend that when you make this, deviate a bit from the directions in the video. Instead of plopping your treats onto wax paper, use a greased cookie sheet instead. I used wax paper and when I pulled the treats off, the paper stuck to them. I imagine using a greased cookie sheet and scraping the treats off with a spatula would work a lot better. Let me know how that turns out.
Mint Oreo Coal Treats
- 1 package of mint Oreos
- 10 oz. (about 5 cups) mini marshmallows
- 4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) butter
- Crush up Oreos in a gallon-size bag. Prepare a greased cookie sheet.
- Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. Add marshmallows and stir constantly until smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in crushed Oreos.
- Use two spoons to drop portions of the desired size onto cookie sheet. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before eating. They keep up to 5 days in an airtight container.