I was first introduced to the concept of totchos by Yvette, and we decided we’d make them for our Memorial Day weekend celebration. The celebration began last year when we made turkey gravy and watched Thor: The Dark World. We amped it up this year with totchos, turkey gravy, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, and Agents of SHIELD (which I’m still crying over.)
Anyway, we found this pretty simple recipe on Pinterest for the totchos, and since we baked it in the oven, that classifies it as a baked good and therefore a post for this blog. We didn’t opt in on some of the toppings, but we did add some fresh avocado. The recipe I’m about to share is our edited version, and you can find the original recipe here. It’s such a brilliant idea, combining tater tots and nachos.
- 1 package of frozen tater tots (32 oz.)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 1-2 cups shredded cheese (4-8 oz)
- Sour cream
- Pico de gallo
- Diced avocado
- Follow the directions on your package of tater tots for the baked version.
- While your tater babies are in the oven, brown and crumble the ground beef, then season according to the directions on the taco seasoning packet.
- When the tots are done, take them out of the oven, but leave the oven on. On top of the tots, layer with cheese, beef, and more cheese. Put back in the oven for 1-2 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve up some totchos, and top with sour cream, pico de gallo, fresh avocado, and cheese. (We found that by cutting the avocado halves in a grid pattern, and then gently squeezing them, made for an easy way to get the diced avocado out of the skin.)
- Optional: Go back for seconds.
These totchos really enhanced our Ferris Bueller and Agents of SHIELD viewing experience. I highly recommend giving this recipe a try. It’s super easy, and super delicious.