It’s the second Friday of the month, so that means it’s time for a new Pintertest! This past fall I didn’t have access to an oven, so I went through a baking withdrawal. So I would go on Pinterest and dream about making fall things, and I was bummed that I was missing out on the pumpkin spice craze. I’m making up for it now, though, so that’s why you’re seeing a pumpkin spice recipe at the beginning of January.
Anyway, the author of the recipe responded to comments on her original recipe and made a few tweaks to address an excess moisture problem. I decided to do this post on the updated recipe. She recommends either drying out the pumpkin puree beforehand, or adding half of what it calls for. I decided to cut the pumpkin in half, because drying out the pumpkin sounded like it could get pretty messy. I also added some extra marshmallows because it still seemed a little too runny. It turned out great and they taste wonderful!
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 5 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add marshmallows and stir constantly until melted. Add pumpkin and spices. Stir until well combined.
- Remove from heat. Fold in the rice cereal until well combined.
- Spread out in a greased 13 x 9 pan. Cover with a piece of wax paper and press into the pan to level it off. (If you cut the recipe in half, use an 8 x 8 pan instead.)
- Allow the treats to cool for about 15 minutes before cutting and serving. Makes about 24 treats.
This recipe is really quick and simple, and the results are delicious!